Monday, September 28, 2009

Kris Allen Chats 'Idol,' His New Album and Why He's Pro-Ellen DeGeneres


Still trying to catch his breath from the whirlwind of his 'American Idol' win, Kris Allen is finally getting settled as a solo artist. Giving fans a peek of what is to come on his new record (on sale November 17), he has released 'Live Like We're Dying,' which delivers a strong message about living life to the fullest. "This first single is a really good introduction to what the rest of the album is going to sound like. It's raw and has an organic feel," Allen says.

On his post-'Idol' experience: "It's been crazy. We got off the show and went straight into the tour and started making the album. Now we're just focused on the album. It's a good feeling to be focused on one thing. I feel like I should be catching my breath, but sometimes my mind doesn't allow me to do that."

About his new single, 'Live Like We're Dying': "Producers Andrew Frampton, Steve Kipner, Danny O'Donoghue and Mark Sheehan wrote the song. Originally The Script released this song previously as like a B-side track in Germany. I found all that stuff out afterward... But we thought this song would be a good introduction to the new album. Sometimes we forget that we have one life. This is it. At times, we forget about the nicer things that make life worth living -- like relationships or nature. It's a great message."

What he regrets not doing: "I really want to go skydiving, but I'm terrified. I hear it is the coolest thing in the world and the biggest rush. That is something I would want to do at some point in my life."

On working on his own music instead of rehashing covers: "It feels really good. When I tried out for 'American Idol,' my goal was not to win. It was to go out and hopefully do well enough that I could have the opportunity for a music career. That's why I did this."

How his family has dealt with his 'Idol' win? "It has been crazy for them. They're back home where everything is crazy; your hometown is going to go crazier about you than the rest of the world. My mom even gets emails from fans. I don't know how they get her email address. She'll be like, 'Can you sign this for a fan?' and I'm like, 'What the heck, mom? How did you get that?' They deal with a lot of stuff, but they're awesome. They are doing great and trying to get back to somewhat of a normal life right now."

What he misses about home: "I miss my family and friends. Before this, I spent every day with them. It will be good to see them when I do."

On Ellen DeGeneres replacing Paula Abdul as an 'Idol' judge: "Ellen is a good fit for the show. She is going to do a great job. Everyone loves her. She's so funny, but at the same time, she's so warm and easy to talk to... Paula was that warm personality on the show. You were never scared of her or what she was going to say. I don't think any one is going to be scared of Ellen's comments either. She is going to give a good listeners' perspective."

Keep up the good work Kris, can't wait for your album to be released!

No comments:

Post a Comment